Le Brocq as Mostert replacement headlines Supercars driver switches
|By Andrew van Leeuwen||Thursday, November 28th 2019, 16:01 GMT|
Jack Le Brocq has been confirmed as the replacement for Chaz Mostert at Tickford Racing after Mostert's Supercars move to Walkinshaw Andretti United was finally announced.
Le Brocq will race alongside Cam Waters, Lee Holdsworth and Will Davison in 2020.
It marks a return to the Ford squad for Le Brocq, who raced Super2 and Supercars endurance races for Tickford in 2016 before moving to a Nissan Super2/endurance programme.
Le Brocq then moved to Supercars with Tekno last year and finished 18th in the drivers' standings, before finishing 22nd in 2019.
- Mostert on the move
- Mostert's Walkinshaw Andretti United Supercars move revealed
"I'm absolutely thrilled to be coming back to Tickford Racing, and am very excited to be driving the Supercheap Auto Ford Mustang in 2020," Le Brocq said.
"To have an opportunity with one of the sport's top teams is amazing, and to be partnered with Supercheap Auto is a great honour.
"My first two years in the championship have been a rollercoaster at times, but I've learned heaps and can't wait to apply it all to the Ford Mustang next year.
"Tickford has had a great 2019 season, and I certainly want to add to that in 2020, so we'll be head down this off-season to get me up to speed when we hit the track in Adelaide."
Tim Edwards likened Le Brocq's signing to that of Mark Winterbottom, who also made a low-key start to his Supercars career before eventually winning the title in 2015.
"Jack is someone we're well familiar with and have followed for a long time," he said.
"We enjoyed working with him in Super2 so to bring him back into the fold at the main game level is really positive for the both of us.
"Our fans will remember back in 2005 we signed a young Mark Winterbottom who had a tough first two years in the championship, and that turned out quite well.
"We see similar potential in Jack, we know he has ability in the car, and with the right people and resources we believe he can run up the front, and we look forward to providing that in 2020."
Elsewhere, Super2 champion Todd Hazelwood will replace Tim Slade at Brad Jones Racing for the 2020 season.
The 24-year-old will join a four-car BJR line-up alongside Nick Percat, Macauley Jones and Jack Smith.
Hazelwood has long been linked to a BJR move and the deal was made all but official last Sunday evening when Slade, fresh from finishing third at Newcastle, announced his departure.
The two-time Supercars race winner is likely to end up in a top endurance drive, which would be complemented with an overseas GT programme.
MSR will expand to two cars and the expected driver line-up includes Garry Jacobson in one Holden, and two drivers sharing the second - with Kurt Kostecki and Zane Goddard touted as candidates.
Also on the move is Luke Youlden, as the endurance regular is now retiring from Supercars.
Brodie Kostecki, Kurt's cousin, is expected to take his place in a re-shuffled Erebus Motorsport endurance line-up.
The news spells the end of a two-decade Bathurst 1000 career for Youlden, who did not miss a Great Race in the years since 2000.