Click to view our fantastic subscription offers

Instant access to the F1 paddock

You have 5 views remaining

You have read 10 stories this month. After 15, you will need to register or subscribe.

Register with us for free to view 25 stories a month.

Or subscribe to AUTOSPORT+ for unlimited news stories and access to our exclusive subscriber-only content.

Our commitment to quality journalism

We've introduced metered access to AUTOSPORT which will ensure that the majority of our visitors can continue to view the site for free. But we think that is worth a small investment from those who use it most, so that we can continue to send the leading experts in their field to motor racing paddocks all over the world to break the latest news and produce the most compelling interviews and race reports.

Every visitor gets 15 free page views per month. Once you reach the limit you can register to get 25 views or choose one of our value-for-money subscription packages to continue viewing and to get additional access to a range of features including:

  • Unlimited access to AUTOSPORT with news and views from the paddock
  • Enjoy AUTOSPORT+: subscriber-only analysis, comment and top-quality pictures
  • Get AUTOSPORT magazine in a digital format on your computer or iPad every week
  • Full access to FORIX - the world's best motorsport statistics website

We greatly appreciate your continued support to keep AUTOSPORT at the forefront of motorsport coverage, and we look forward to welcoming you as a new subscriber.


Glenn Freeman
AUTOSPORT.com Editor

autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
You are on the classic version of Autosport. Visit www.autosport.com to see our new site.

Gasly says Hamilton and Vettel backed him on Silverstone F1 penalty

Pierre Gasly Toro Rosso Honda F1 2018

Pierre Gasly says he was backed up by Formula 1 champions Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel when his British Grand Prix penalty came up in the drivers' briefing at Hockenheim.

Gasly was fuming after what he felt was a "completely ridiculous" sanction cost him the championship point he'd earned at Silverstone.

The Frenchman passed Force India's Sergio Perez late on, but made contact with his rival's car in the process and was hit with a five-second penalty that demoted him from 10th to 13th.

Speaking to the media at the next grand prix weekend in Germany, Gasly said he brought up the penalty to race director Charlie Whiting during the Friday drivers' briefing - and insisted that "everyone" among his fellow F1 drivers supported his viewpoint.

"I asked Charlie and I just wanted his opinion about it, and the drivers' opinions," Gasly said. "We talked about it for 40 minutes.

"Lewis said it was a racing incident, Seb said as well. Everyone found that the penalty was a bit harsh.

"So, it was good to know after, there is nothing we can change really. For me it was just to understand.

Gasly Perez F1 2018 British GP incident

"I am open to question myself about my vision of racing and it was important for me to get the opinions of others as well, but they all shared the same feedback and they thought the penalty was too harsh."

Gasly suggested F1 should consider the example of MotoGP, which has been more relaxed in policing wheel-to-wheel action.

The motorcycle series announced earlier this year that its stewards would be imposing harsher penalties in the aftermath of reigning champion Marc Marquez knocking title rival Valentino Rossi off his bike in Argentina.

But despite a number of contentious moments in the following races, no penalties for contact have been handed out in MotoGP since the announcement.

"I am a big fan of MotoGP and this kind of thing happens every weekend," Gasly said.

"And this is why people love MotoGP - because they are touching, they are really fighting to the limit and when we see Valentino and Marquez clashing side-by-side, everyone loves it.

"It is part of racing and I think people are quite excited to see when it happens in F1."

The Frenchman reiterated that he sought a more consistent approach to F1 stewarding, having felt after Britain that manoeuvres similar to his Perez move had gone unpunished in the past.

"It is not only for my case, just to have something clear for everyone," he said.

"Just to know where the line is exactly, because from one weekend to another it seems to change a bit.

"It is important to have some clear feedback on what the limit is."

Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed