One-time Stefan GP boss Zoran Stefanovic plans F1 team for 2019
|By Franco Nugnes||Sunday, July 9th 2017, 09:10 GMT|
Zoran Stefanovic has revealed plans for a second attempt to enter a team in Formula 1 after meeting Ross Brawn in Austria, having previously tried to enter as Stefan GP.
Stefanovic had previously owned the Stefan GP team that fell to the wayside after the FIA denied him an entry, despite the team owner claiming the team had completed its cars and signing Kazuki Nakajima to drive.
The project was then canned but with recent rumours that a number of teams, including the much discussed China F1 Racing Team, were looking to enter F1, Stefanovic has publically stated that he is launching a second attempt to enter.
He has set up facilities in Parma and hired former Williams and Ferrari man Enrique Scalabroni to start putting together the technical aspects of the outfit, already reaching an agreement to use a wind tunnel facility.
Speaking exclusively to Autosport about his plans Stefanovic said: "I am here to meet Ross Brawn because I am setting up an F1 team based in Italy.
"Before coming to Austria I've put together some very important agreements: I defined that it will be based in Parma, which is located a reasonable distance from the wind tunnel.
"I've also signed a contract with a specialist in aerodynamics to help work on the project."
Stefeanovic plans to build the team over the next 12 months before setting a target of securing an entry for 2019, but any grid addition would be dependent on the FIA deciding to open the tender for a new slot.
FIA president Jean Todt has made it clear that the entries will only be opened up if he feels there are serious candidates ready to fill the places.
"When we feel it is time we will be able to make a tender," Todt said last month.
"At the moment we have ten teams and the idea is to have up to 12 teams. So we have an opportunity, if we have one or two strong newcomers it could be possible."