Click to view our fantastic subscription offers

Instant access to the F1 paddock

You have 5 views remaining

You have read 10 stories this month. After 15, you will need to register or subscribe.

Register with us for free to view 25 stories a month.

Or subscribe to AUTOSPORT+ for unlimited news stories and access to our exclusive subscriber-only content.

Our commitment to quality journalism

We've introduced metered access to AUTOSPORT which will ensure that the majority of our visitors can continue to view the site for free. But we think that is worth a small investment from those who use it most, so that we can continue to send the leading experts in their field to motor racing paddocks all over the world to break the latest news and produce the most compelling interviews and race reports.

Every visitor gets 15 free page views per month. Once you reach the limit you can register to get 25 views or choose one of our value-for-money subscription packages to continue viewing and to get additional access to a range of features including:

  • Unlimited access to AUTOSPORT with news and views from the paddock
  • Enjoy AUTOSPORT+: subscriber-only analysis, comment and top-quality pictures
  • Get AUTOSPORT magazine in a digital format on your computer or iPad every week
  • Full access to FORIX - the world's best motorsport statistics website

We greatly appreciate your continued support to keep AUTOSPORT at the forefront of motorsport coverage, and we look forward to welcoming you as a new subscriber.


Glenn Freeman
AUTOSPORT.com Editor

autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
You are on the classic version of Autosport. Visit www.autosport.com to see our new site.

Huge blow for MotoGP venue Circuit of Wales as funding rejected

Circuit of Wales

The Circuit of Wales project has taken a major hit after the Welsh Government decided against offering the financial guarantee needed to build the prospective British MotoGP venue.

Welsh economy and infrastructure cabinet secretary Ken Skates released a written statement on Tuesday morning confirming the government was rejecting the proposal presented by heads of the £433million project in April.

This was a request that the government "enter into a guarantee of a loan facility of £210million provided by [major project backer] Aviva Investors".

Since then due diligence has been taking place into how many jobs the project, planned for the Ebbw Vale region, would create and how much value it would bring to the local economy.

This process was delayed initially because the Circuit of Wales did not provide enough information with its proposal, but with due diligence now complete Skates said "the potential impact on the public finances of the current proposal before them was too great".

He added that claims of 6000 potential jobs were "significantly overstated", and that by 2024 the expectation would be "little over 100" direct full-time positions.

Circuit development and construction jobs may have added another 500 jobs each to that tally.

Circuit of Wales' proposal met the criteria laid out by Skates last summer that it needed to secure private sector funding for 50% of the project.

Silverstone MotoGP 2016

But Skates said that "due to the way the deal is structured, the current proposal would see the Welsh Government exposed to more than 50% of the risk".

He explained: "This is because the £210m underwriting element would carry a higher risk than other parts of the financing package.

"As a result, following discussions with ONS [Office for National Statistics] and HM Treasury during the due diligence process, it is assessed that there is a very significant risk that the full £373million debt of the entire Circuit of Wales project would be classified against Welsh Government capital spending."

Skates said that total was the equivalent of building a major hospital, 10 schools or 5000 new affordable homes.

After rejecting the Circuit of Wales, the national government will instead provide £100m of funding over 10 years to build a new automotive technology business park in Ebbw Vale.

Rejection of state funding is a potentially fatal blow to the Circuit of Wales, which was first tabled six years ago but has faced numerous delays and constant questions over its viability.

It signed a five-year deal to host Britain's round of MotoGP between 2015 and '19, with an option for a further five years.

Silverstone has had to step in to keep the race on the calendar because of the Welsh track's constant delays, with that agreement running until this year's British Grand Prix.

If this is the end of the Circuit of Wales project then Silverstone, which wants to keep the race for longer, will be considered favourite for a new deal of its own with MotoGP promoter Dorna.

Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
Full MotoGP coverage on autosport.com
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed