Tom Chilton eyes combined BTCC/WTCC campaign in 2017
|By Jack Cozens||Thursday, December 22nd 2016, 17:10 GMT|
Tom Chilton says he is working on securing a drive in the World Touring Car Championship next season despite signing a deal to compete in British Touring Cars with Vauxhall.
Chilton finished eighth in the WTCC standings in 2016 with one victory to his name in Argentina, having moved to independent Citroen outfit Sebastien Loeb Racing after two years with ROAL Motorsport.
The Briton was last week announced as the lead driver for Vauxhall's factory-backed return to the BTCC next season and will drive an Astra for the Power Maxed Racing team.
But Chilton said he was still committed to competing in the WTCC in 2017, with neither championships' dates clashing.
He is however yet to confirm a drive in the series next season.
"Signing for Vauxhall in the BTCC is not the end of the WTCC for me," said Chilton.
"I'm still putting the sponsorship together to do it because I've got a good chance to be world champion next year.
"None of the dates clash, although I've not signed anything."