Alonso pleased with progress after trying 2014 Ferrari in simulator
|By Edd Straw||Sunday, December 15th 2013, 11:31 GMT|
Fernando Alonso was pleased with the progress made during his first experience of the 2014 Ferrari after trying it in the simulator.
Although departing team-mate Felipe Massa previously tried the car in the simulator, this was the first time the Spaniard had sampled it.
Next year's regulations are built around a 1.6-litre turbocharged V6 engine, a rule change that will also have a significant effect on the car.
"I'm pleased with the way the day on the simulator went," Alonso told Ferrari's official website.
"We managed to get through everything on the programme that we had in the pipeline. It was nice to be driving again, even if only in a virtual way.
"We went through a lot of ideas with the engineers. We are only at the start of a learning process, which is moving forward all the time, and it's nice to be able to contribute to it."
Alonso also issued a rallying cry to Ferrari's staff ahead of 2014 in the wake of a difficult 2013 season.
Speaking to Ferrari's sporting division at Ferrari's Christmas lunch, he stressed that he will ensure he is fully prepared to get the best out of the car next year.
"It's never easy coming second, but we must look ahead," said Alonso.
"Everyone always expects a lot from us. Next year, we will try to do better and I know you are working very hard.
"There are new rules and extra work for all of you, but you can count on maximum effort from us in terms of our physical and mental preparation to be in 100 per cent shape in March for the opening race.
"We race an important time ahead and so, forza Ferrari."