autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
You are on the classic version of Autosport. Visit www.autosport.com to see our new site.

Heidfeld Says He Cannot Race with HANS

Sauber's Nick Heidfeld says he cannot race with Formula One's mandatory new head and neck (HANS) safety device and fears that he might crash if forced to use it.

"In theory it is a good thing but in practice it doesn't work for me," Autosport quoted the German driver as saying. "I don't know how it will be possible to use it at Melbourne.

"At the moment, there's no way. For me personally, I feel it is more dangerous because I couldn't concentrate for a whole race. It would start to hurt and I could lose concentration and crash."

The season starts in Australia on March 9 and the HANS device, a U-shaped collar that sits on the drivers shoulders and is attached to the helmet to prevent the head from jerking forward in the event of a crash, must be worn. The system has been used extensively by NASCAR and open-wheel racers in the United States.

Sauber tried out the device for the first time at last year's Italian Grand Prix but while Brazilian Felipe Massa reported no problems, Heidfeld said it gave him a headache and did not wear it for the race.

The German tried to use it in testing in Barcelona this year but suffered head and collarbone pain after just one lap. Other drivers, notably Canadian Jacques Villeneuve and Colombian Juan Pablo Montoya, have also expressed strong reservations about racing with the device.


  © 2019 Reuters. All rights reserved
Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed